Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Gloomy Day of Quiet Contemplation...



I actually have no complaints about today.
I ate a great breakfast with a great family in a great neighbourhood in a great country.

I had a great date night out with The Hubby last night and ate a great dinner and saw a great movie.

I have a great life.

And I am grateful.

Very grateful.

Today there are people suffering. In a place that I have wanted to go for quite a while.
I have spent hours now watching CNN and reading newspapers learning about what the nation of Haiti is suffering through.
Suffering is the only word that seems to fit because right now there isn't much living amongst all the death.

My heart breaks.
And so I pray. And I give. And I am grateful for those who have the capabilities to help those who remain.

I have learned something today on this gloomy Sunday.
Not a new lesson but one that is good to be reminded of every so often.
It brings perspective.
Life is fragile.

I have been lucky enough to never have experienced the deep personal pain of losing someone who changes my world directly.
I have seen others live through this. I have cried for their loss. I have cried for what I knew of that missed individual. Yet I have thus far been spared.
But alas I am getting older. Not old, but older. And the thing is, it's going to keep happening and someday it will hit my life completely.

Only months ago I saw a friend lose her amazing father in a period of months to cancer.
It SUCKED.
She is one of the strongest, most inspiring people I know and she said this to me today:
"We are all fragile. Even the ones with thicker skin :)"
I think her Dad passed along his amazingness to her.

This is not meant to be a downer or a sob letter.
This is the other side of having a rich life. And you know what? Learning these things, whether it may be for the first time or the last time... is a lesson I hope keeps ringing true in my life.
Don't take the moments for granted.
Don't take the people you love for granted.
Don't take our world for granted.
And God is still God.
So God is still Good.


No comments:

Post a Comment